You are here

IAD News Bulletin Spring 2017

IAD is pleased to announce the release of our 2017 Bulletin. The publication features stories from the many-faceted faces of IAD: Student internships in Zambia, Kenya, South Africa, and Cameroon; a visit from Distinguished Africanist Scholar Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela, who delivered a timely lecture on empathic leadership; Graduate Fellow profiles; updates on our symposia and seminars; an article on African Studies in East Asia, and so much more.

New Book Release: Poverty Reduction in the Course of African Development

An edited volume based on papers presented at an IAD symposium, the book honors the work of Erik Thorbecke, H.E. Babcock Professor of Economics, for his lifetime achievements on poverty reduction, especially in Africa.

Institute for African Development Book Launch

An edited volume based on papers presented at an IAD symposium, the book honors the work of Erik Thorbecke, H.E. Babcock Professor of Economics, for his lifetime achievements on poverty reduction, especially in Africa.

In light of the opportunities and the challenges facing African economies in the 21st century, the volume traces the evolution of poverty in the course of economic development in sub-Saharan Africa. By engaging with, and seeking to develop on, the work of Professor Erik Thorbecke, it examines the evolving dynamics of poverty in multiple dimensions.

A New Life for Old Machines

"As a Cornell technology specialist, Alan Heiman saw dozens of computers — whole labs full — discarded all at once, and with frightening regularity, because they had outlived their warranties. He thought that it didn’t make sense they should end up in a landfill when they were needed by so many people and often worked perfectly well, even though they were a little dated.

He began asking labs and libraries on campus to donate the machines instead, and with the help of Muna Ndulo, Cornell Law Professor, he shipped more than 100 computers to different locations in Africa. The project was slow to start — each time he made a shipment he thought it would be his last — but eventually he realized the group had enough volunteer support to become an ongoing initiative. “It just took off,” he said."

IAD Graduate Fellows 2016-2017

The Institute, in cooperation with other programs and organizations, awards several fellowships each year to African students admitted to graduate study at Cornell University.

Spring 2017 Seminar - Governance, Elections, Nationalism, and the Building of an Inclusive Democratic State

The Spring 2017 Issues in African Development seminar will take up the issues of governance, elections, and nationalism, with special emphasis on the question of how to build an inclusive democratic state. We will explore the challenges of developing inclusive governance structures and of managing ethnicity. How do we ensure that governance structures promote gender equality and the empowerment of women? How do we improve governance and strengthen national institutions in ways that ensure growth rather than promoting control and oppression? These issues must be addressed as we seek to consolidate democratic governance in Africa. (Photo courtesy of UN Media. "Elections in the Central African Republic.")

Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela: Empathic Leadership

IAD Distinguished Africanist Scholar Fall 2016, Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela of Stellenbosch University, South Africa, delivered a public lecture November 9 titled “What Does It Mean to be Human in the Aftermath of Historical Trauma: A Quest for the Empathic Witness.” Dr. Gobodo-Madikizela is Professor and Research Chair of Historical Trauma and Transformation at Stellenbosch and served on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa post-apartheid.

Inequality in Africa: Economic Vulnerability, Environmental Risks, and Inequitable Access to Justice

The debate on inequality has become a true global phenomenon. Oxfam report (2015) warned that “the combined wealth of the richest 1% will overtake that of the other 99% of people next year unless the current trend of rising inequality is checked.” As exclusion and inequality affects every section of society, the IAD/SAIPAR conference held the first week of August focused on several interconnected and interdisciplinary themes including growth, and poverty; regional integration; taxation; natural resources; and, access to justice.

Institute for African Development Symposium Keynote

The symposium on Development, Extremism, Security and the State in Africa will open with a keynote address by Carne Ross,
Founder and Director of Independent Diplomat,former UK delegation expert on the Middle East and
Strategy Coordinator for the UN in Kosovo, and author of The Leaderless Revolution